Amaquonsippi Chapter NSDAR was chartered on
October 15, 1976 during the country's bicentennial. The chapter name,
Amaquosippi, is an Indian name - Amaqua refers to a small town and
sippi means river. We have a proud history of historic preservation,
patriotism, and promoting education.
On July 10, 1979 Amaquonsippi Chapter
sponsored the placing of a DAR historical marker at Redcrest Mansion in
Canton. Amaquonsippi Chapter sponsored the reprinting of two area books
to preserve area history and to make these significant books again
available to the public. The Prairie
Farmer Directory of 1917 was an important genealogical source
which gave all names of each farm family in Fulton County, along with
various related town and city businesses. The Yellow Rose was the true story of
an early Fulton County fur trapper who eloped with his bride, left
Fulton County by horseback, and married on the way to the yellow
banks of the Mississippi River. The bride kept a diary in 1830 of her
trip and raising her children while they lived among the Indians.
Each year the DAR Good Citizens from Canton
High School and Spoon River Valley High School and their mothers are
treated to a dinner with the chapter. The Flags of Love project is an
outstanding one which the chapter originated and has continued to
sponsor. Any deceased veteran of any war who served from Fulton County
or who resides in Fulton County may be honored with a large flag on a
14’ flagpole bearing an engraved nameplate. The many flags are put up
throughout Jones Park in Canton Square on all patriotic holidays.
Chapter members participate in Honor Flight
events at the Peoria airport and donate items to veterans and those
currently serving in the military. We donated Constitution booklets to
an American History class and created Constitution displays.
to attend one of our meetings.