Black Partridge Chapter National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) was organized on October 12, 1978, by organizing Regent Mrs. H. L. McAdams. Black Partridge is a small chapter with members from Woodford and Tazewell Counties. Each year we honor Good Citizens from seven local high schools. We support the DAR schools by donating items and gift cards and we also donate items to the Danville Veterans' Home. We maintain the Lincoln marker on the blacktop road between Metamora and Washington. We have donated books to dentist offices and to schools, presented a program on Memorial Day to an assisted living facility, and participated in a local Memorial Day parade and laying of the Memorial Wreath. Two Vietnam War Commemorative events were held this year, including an official commemoration, public program and luncheon.
Origin of Chapter Name
By the close of the 18th century, the Potawatomi Indians, originally from the north, had moved into Illinois with numerous villages along the Illinois River. Black Partridge was chief of a village that consisted of thirty to forty wigwams scattered between Partridge and Richland creeks in what is now the western part of Woodford County. Refusing to succumb to English attempts to take part in Indian uprisings during the War of 1812, Chief Black Partridge remained friendly to American settlers.
In October of 1812, while Chief Black Partridge was on a mission of mercy to rescue Lieutenant Helm from the Indians after the Fort Dearborn Massacre, Illinois Governor Edwards and three hundred Illinois rangers attacked the Potawatomi village. Returning to his village, Chief Black Partridge found his village had been burned. In December 1813, he signed a peace treaty in St. Louis. Chief Black Partridge remained loyal to his vow of peace until his death in 1819.
Photography courtesy of Kenda Bond