DAR Logo

Shadrach Bond Chapter

Carthage, Illinois


Chapter History

On April 6, 1896, a group of ladies met in the home of Laura Miller Noyes in Carthage, Illinois, for the purpose of organizing a chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. They chose to name their chapter after the first governor of Illinois, Shadrach Bond. Governor Bond served from 1818 to 1822, and was the only governor to sit in the original Illinois capital at Kaskaskia. Halfway through his term, the capital was moved to Vandalia where it remained for 20 years. His term began on October 6, 1818, about two months before Illinois became the 21st state to enter the union. The state's population at the time was about 52,000. Bond was a former judge and ran unopposed as a Democrat.

The Shadrach Bond Chapter NSDAR charter was granted on January 19, 1897. The thirteen charter members were: Laura Miller Noyes, regent; Julia Ferris; Miss Sue A. Williams; Elizabeth Tillapaugh; Alice Ferris Martin; Ellen L. Carey Mack; Ellen B. Capron; Mary Bacon Johnson; Julia Ferris Hubbs; Miss Ina Elder; Amanda E. Shults and Miss Ellen Jarya Cherrill.

Shadrach Bond

Our Officers

Regent Mrs. Keela Ernst
Vice Regent Mrs. Ila Anguish
Chaplain Mrs. Joyce Buckert
Recording Secretary Mrs. Betty Hunter
Treasurer Mrs. Mary Ann Powell-Wintjen
Registrar Mrs. Joyce Buckert

Our meetings are held the third Friday of the month September through December and February through June.

For information about membership or attending a meeting please contact Mrs. Joyce Buckert.