NATIONAL SOCIETY OF THE DAUGHTERS OF THE
AMERICAN REVOLUTION (NSDAR)
CARMI, WHITE COUNTY, ILLINOIS
DAR, founded in 1890 and headquartered in Washington, D.C., is a
non-profit, non-political volunteer women's service organization
dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American history, and
securing America's future through better education for children.
White County History
The second courthouse in White
County was in the
of John Craw, originally built in 1814. It was purchased by U.S.
Senator John M. Robinson in 1835. His
granddaughter, DAR member Mary Jane Robinson Stewart, donated the home
to the White County Historical Society after her death in 1966.
It has been used for many community and chapter events, and was home to
another grandfather of Miss Mary Jane, William Stewart, a revolutionary
war patriot, as well as Fannie Hay Maffit, Mary Jane's aunt and a
For a list
Revolutionary War soldiers buried in White County as well as Wayne
County follow this link:
page on the site has Gallatin and Hamilton County soldiers, all taken
from a 1917 DAR book. Below is the marker Wabash Chapter placed in the
city park in the 1930s.
Revolutionary Patriot graves
marked by Wabash chapter include:
Zachariah Cross (Burnt Prairie),
September 28, 1930
Joseph Hawthorne (Enfield),
Arthur Johnson (Johnson Cemetery),
William Stewart (Old Graveyard,
Carmi), June 2, 2002 Rededication
Joel Harrell and his daughter,
Taletha (or Talitha) Catherine Harrell Dartt (Enfield), 1996
Wabash Chapter memorial for all
revolutionary war soldiers in White County at the Old Graveyard
Webmaster: Cindy Birk Conley
This page was updated September 8, 2011
Web hyperlinks to
non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR,
the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.