Mary Little Deere-Fort Armstrong

Chapter NSDAR

Moline - Rock Island, IL


Chapter History
Program Calendar
Our Patriot Ancestors
In Memoriam
Past Activities
Contact Us
"Our aim is to perpetuate the memory and the spirit of the men and women who achieved American Independence, to promote the development of an enlightened public opinion and to foster patriotic citizenship."

Mary Little Deere
Fort Armstrong Chapter




Diane St.John

Vice Regent
Debbie Bowen

Colleen Levsen

Recording Secretary
Linda Walker

Corresponding Secretary
Terry Koppenhaver

Judy McDowell

Deb VanSant

Sarah Rieger

Sally Bartosh

Kathy Carey

Sheryl Eckermann

Loraraine Hathaway




Founded in 1890, DAR is
a volunteer women's service organization that promotes historic preservation, education, and patriotism.


Moline High School senior awarded the Cervantes scholarship. For more on the John R. Cervantes Memorial Scholarship Fund.

On June 5, 1999 the Mary Little Deere Chapter of Moline, IL and the Fort Armstrong Chapter of Rock Island, IL received approval from the National Society to merge into one chapter.  The official name assigned to the newly merged chapter was the Mary Little Deere - Fort Armstrong Chapter with the location to meet given as Moline, Illinois.


On February 6, 1896, seventeen women eligible for membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution met and organized the Fort Armstrong Chapter, named to honor the garrison of the military post established in 1816 for the protection of the early settlers.  Mrs. James R. Kimball was the Organizing Regent. 

A gavel and block made of wood from the original Fort was presented to the chapter.  This gavel continues to be used for meetings of the newly formed chapter.


On January 6, 1894, the Moline DAR Chapter was organized with Mrs. Charles H. Deere (Mary Little Deere) as Regent.  Twelve women eligible for membership met at the home of Mrs. J. S. Gilmore. Mrs. Charles H. Deere was appointed Regent by the State Regent.  Mary Little Deere died on April 18, 1913.  At the twentieth annual meeting held at the home of Mrs. Gilmore, Mrs. S. S. Crompton proposed, and it was enacted that, "In loving remembrance and honor to her who was our first Regent, our founder and benefactor, a petition be sent to the National Society to change the name of our chapter from Moline Chapter to the Mary Little Deere Chapter."  The request was granted.


History of Rock Island County, Illinois

The area was originally inhabited by the Sac and Fox Indians whose principal villages were within the present limits of Rock Island County.  United States soldiers came here in 1816 when Fort Armstrong was built on Rock Island.  The county prior to its organization was included in the jurisdiction of Jo Daviess County. The first land entry was 19 October 1829.  The Illinois Legislature organized Rock Island County in 1833, and the county seat was designated as Stephenson (later known as Rock Island) in 1835.  Rock Island was a military prison for confederate soldiers during the Civil War.  There were 12,212 prisoners and 1,960 deaths.  The Confederate Cemetery is next to the Rock Island National Cemetery. (From The Past and Present of Rock Island County, ILL. 1877)

The County Clerk has birth and death records from 1877 and marriages from 1833.  The Clerk of the Circuit Court has divorce, probate, and civil court records, the Registrar has burial records and the County Recorder land records.  Addresses:  Rock Island County Office Building, 1504 3rd Avenue, Rock Island, IL 61201-8446; Rock Island National Cemetery, Rock Island Arsenal, Rock Island, IL 61201; and Rock Island County Historical Library, 822 11th Avenue Drive, Moline, IL 61265.


Mary Little Deere - Fort Armstrong Chapter NSDAR, Moline, Illinois


Home  |   Chapter History  |   Program Calendar  |   Our Patriots  |   In Memoriam  |   Activities  |   Contact  |   Links


Webmaster: J.L. McKenzie

Website last updated: August 27, 2023