June 14, 1915. A marker was dedicated on Flag Day, at the site of the Great Western Railroad at Tenth and Monroe Streets where, at 8:00 AM, on the morning of February 11, 1861, President-elect Abraham Lincoln delivered his farewell address to Springfield from the rear platform of his train car. Pictured are both sides of this bronze marker. The center photo is the Great Western Railroad (now also known as the Lincoln Depot) on June 14, 1915. Click the images for a larger view.
1919. Several markers were placed in connection with Abraham Lincoln's life in Springfield. These markers were made possible by donations from the Springfield Chapter NSDAR, the State Historical Society, and patriotic citizens.
|A marker was placed at 103 S. Fifth Street, Springfield, Illinois, for the law office of Abraham Lincoln and William Herndon. The marker is now on the front of The Myers Building at what is now 1 West Old State Capitol Plaza. Click the photo for a larger image.|
|Another tablet was placed at 107 S. Fifth, Springfield Il by the Springfield Chapter, the State Historical Society and patriotic citizens to mark Abraham Lincoln's bedroom from 1837 to 1841. The tablet is now on front of The Myers Building at what is now 1 West Old State Capitol Plaza. Click the photo for a larger image.|
A tablet was placed at 203 S. Sixth Street, Springfield, Illinois to mark the law office of Judge Stephen T. Logan and Abraham Lincoln from 1841 to 1843. Used with permission of the Sangamon Valley Collection at Lincoln Library, Springfield, Illinois.
|The marker for the site of Ninian Wirt Edwards home was originally placed at the northwest corner of the Centennial Building (now the Howlett Building) at 501 S. Second Street, at the corner of Second and Edwards. This marker is now located on the north wall outside the building. Click the photo for a larger image. Text: "Upon this site stood the home of Ninian Wirt Edwards where Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd were united in marriage November 4, 1842 and where Mary Todd Lincoln died July 16, 1882."|
|Springfield Chapter placed a marker at the site of the Globe Tavern, the first home of Abraham and Mary Lincoln (from November 4, 1842 to May 2, 1844,) and birthplace of their first child Robert. The marker, located in the 300 block of East Adams, Springfield, Illinois, was rededicated by the Historic Sites Commission April 15, 1987. Click the photo for a larger image.|
|A marker was placed at 528 E. Adams, Springfield, Illinois (now known as 1 S. Old Capitol Plaza and is on the Lincoln-Herndon Law Office Building) to mark the site where Abraham Lincoln wrote his first Inaugural Address as President of the United States. This picture is used with the permission of the Sangamon Valley Collection at the Lincoln Library, Springfield, Illinois. The marker has been replaced with the current marker.|
|A marker was placed at 302 E. Washington, Springfield, Il, to mark the site of the First Presbyterian Church which the Abraham Lincoln family attended and rented a pew. The marker still remains at 302 E. Washington on the side of a building. The pew has been preserved and is just inside the First Presbyterian Church, now located at the corner of Capitol and 7th, 321 S. 7th. For more information, click on http://lincolnschurch.org/tours.htm Click the photos for a larger image.|
The marker shown on the right is the original marker placed in 1919 on the public receiving vault at Oak Ridge Cemetery, Springfield, Illinois, the first location of President Abraham Lincoln's remains. The photo to the right is courtesy of the Sangamon Valley Collection, Springfield, Illinois. This marker has been replaced with the current marker. The vault is at the foot of the hill north of the present tomb. Click the photos for a larger image.
|1921. A marker was erected by Springfield Chapter and the Lincoln Circuit Marking Association on the northeast corner of the Sangamon County Court House grounds, where Lincoln rode as he traveled the Eighth Judicial District during 1847-1857. Both the 1921 and 1994 rededication markers are on the kiosk outside the Old State Capitol. Photo on the left is a photo of the marker at it's original location and is used with permission of the Sangamon Valley Collection at the Lincoln Library, Springfield, Illinois. Click the photos for a larger image. The marker was erected in 1921 but unveiled on May 8, 1922.|
|1922. A county line marker was erected by the Springfield Chapter and the Lincoln Circuit Marking Association at the edge of Sangamon County, the point where Abraham Lincoln traversed the Sangamon and Christian County lines as he traveled the Eighth Judicial District during 1847-1859. From Springfield: Take County Route 29 east aproximately 1 mile past Breckenridge. Turn right at the 2300 N/ 610 E sign and continue two tenths mile. The marker is on right side of the road just past the bridge. Click photo for a larger image.|
|May 3, 1922. The
Chicago and Alton Railroad passenger station was marked by the
Springfield Chapter as the site where Lincoln's remains arrived on May
3, 1865. (This is an 1895 photo.)
|October 22, 1960. Power's Courthouse, Fancy Creek Township, one mile east of Cantral, Illinois, on what was originally George Power's farm, was marked as the site where Abraham Lincoln tried his first case. June Power Reilly, granddaughter of George Power, and her daughter, Frances Reilly Estill, were members of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Click on the photos for a larger image.|
|May 8, 1994. To honor the anniversary of the founding of the Springfield Chapter NSDAR, the Springfield Sites Commission rededicated the Lincoln Eighth Judicial Circuit Marker that was originally placed in 1921 and dedicated on May 8, 1922. Both the 1921 and 1994 rededication markers are on the kiosk outside the Old State Capitol. Click the photo for a larger image.|
All photos by: Lynda Kerstein
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites
are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or
individual DAR chapters.
Return to top of page
Webmaster: ILDAR Webmasters
Revised: August 23, 2015