in

chapter name

Look for These Historic Markers

The Governor Bradford Chapter dedicated a bronze statue of a volunteer Connecticut minuteman atop a pink sparkly stone base with fountain.  The names of 14 Revolutionary War soldiers buried in Vermilion County are engraved in the statue base: William Adams, David Baird, Robert Brownfield, Joseph Coughran, Kinzer Dickerson, John Frasier, Jacob Gundy, Daniel Harrington, James Huls, William Harris, Hugh King, Thomas Makernson, Thomas Morton, Harris and Zachariah Robertson, Sr.  Two of these soldiers, Frazier and Robertson, were present with Washington during Cornwallis' surrender. The Minuteman statue is a sculpture by Daniel Chester French.  

The Illinois State Organization placed a rectangular marker on the northwest intersection of Main Street and Logan Avenue (near Ellsworth Park) in Danville to mark Abraham Lincoln's route in the Eighth Judicial District.  It says:
"Abraham Lincoln traveled this way as he rode the circuit of the Eighth Judicial District, 1847-1857."

The chapter also placed a rectangular marker on the First National Bank building, currently Breese Towers, at 4 North Vermilion to honor Lincoln.  It reads:
"Abraham Lincoln occupied offices in a building on this site while practicing law in the Eighth Judicial District from 1847-1859.  Erected by the Governor Bradford Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1923."

The chapter placed a rectangular marker on a stone directly southeast of the previous Dr. William Fithian home at 115 North Gilbert Street.  Abraham Lincoln spoke from the balcony of the home where he was an overnight guest.  Dr. Fithian's home is now the home of the Vermilion County Museum.



flag