The Illinois State Organization, NSDAR, dedicated the solar lighting of the flag staff atop Starved Rock at Starved Rock State Park on September 18, 2014. Illinois State Regent Pamela Petersen Bork presided at the dedication ceremony. The theme of Mrs. Bork’s administration (2013–2015) was “Ties that Bind Our Past to Our Future.” This project was one that did just that, as the Daughters of the Illinois State Organization, NSDAR, erected the first flag staff on Starved Rock in 1913 to honor the soldiers and sailors of the War of 1812. As this original flag staff became unstable and the plaque had disappeared, the Illinois State Organization erected a new staff and installed a new plaque in 1986. The project of illuminating the flag that we celebrate today continues Illinois Daughters’ support of the flag atop Starved Rock.
Illinois Daughters raised more than $44,000 to complete the restoration of one lay light panel at Daughters of the American Revolution National Headquarters as a project of Illinois State Regent Candace Fryburger.
In June 2011, this statue was dedicated to honor all women veterans. The statue depicts two women: Molly Pitcher, the woman who fought beside her husband during the Revolutionary War, and Major Tammy Duckworth, an Army helicopter pilot whose aircraft was struck by enemy fire, resulting in the loss of her legs. The statue is located on the grounds of the Brehm Memorial Library in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, where the Illinois DAR houses its extensive genealogy library.
One project undertaken by Illinois DAR members was the identification of several Lincoln Circuit Markers. There were 19 markers originally placed throughout the Eighth Judicial Circuit where Abraham Lincoln practiced law. The original markers were erected in 1922 and 1923 and many were damaged or missing. Locating the markers played a key role in celebrating the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birth.
The statue of General George Rogers Clark at Fort Massac State Park in Metropolis, Illinois, was badly in need of refurbishing. It was especially important for the General to look good as the park's 100th birthday was to be held in November 2008. The Illinois State Organization Daughters of the American Revolution stepped in to help by raising funds to refurbish the statue. In 1908, the DAR purchased 24 acres surrounding the site and Fort Massac was officially dedicated as Illinois' first state park.
Liberty benches were placed at seven historic locations throughout Illinois. They are located at: Ulysses S. Grant home in Galena, Illinois; Decatur, Illinois; the historic train station in Flora, Illinois; Fort Massac State Park in Metropolis, Illinois; in Blackhawk State Park, Moline, Illinois; the historic Graue Mill and Museum in Oak Brook, Illinois; and in Courthouse Square in Hillsboro, Illinois.
The Daughters of the American Revolution originally placed 12 Madonna of the Trail monuments along the old National Road. They feature a pioneer woman clasping her baby, with her young son clinging to her skirts. This monument in Vandalia, Illinois, sits on a corner across from the former Illinois State House. The eighth Madonna of the Trail monument erected, the Illinois monument was originally dedicated on October 26, 1928. The Illinois DAR refurbished the Madonna monument and it was rededicated in 2005.
The Illinois room is one of 31 state-sponsored period rooms in the DAR Museum in Washington, D.C. It represents an 1840s “best” bedchamber in a wealthy household where the husband and wife slept. The best bedchamber was not just a place for sleeping, as women spent much time in the bedchamber birthing, nursing, and caring for children. Therefore the best bedchamber was set up in the most comfortable manner with tables and chairs for doing work and socializing.View All of the Period Rooms
The DAR erected a memorial bell tower at the Washington Memorial Chapel in the heart of the Valley Forge National Park. The tower houses a carillon of 80 bells, one of which was purchased by the Illinois DAR. Dedications and memorial plaques honoring America's military cover the interior of the tower.